Whole Wheat Baked Spaghetti
The first time that I tried whole wheat spaghetti at home I could not stand it. It tasted mushy and powdery and … just not very good. I was hesitant to try it again but it was on sale so I gave it another go. I have to say, this time around it was excellent! I almost couldn’t tell the difference between the whole wheat pasta compared to the regular dry pasta. This dish turned out really well, just watch out that you don’t add too much cheese, those calories can come sneaking up on you.
1 lb. whole wheat spaghetti
1 bottle spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground turkey
1 can reduced fat cream of mushroom soup
2/3 can water
6 to 8 oz. package shredded cheese
- Boil and drain the whole wheat spaghetti according to package directions.
- Brown the ground turkey, drain any fat, then combine with spaghetti sauce.
- Mix the soup and water in a separate bowl.
- In a 9 x 13 inch pan, layer 1/2 of meat sauce mixture, 1/2 of noodles, 1/2 of soup mixture, and 1/2 of cheese.
- Repeat ending with cheese on top.
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes at 350 degrees F.
If you like the top of your baked spaghetti on the crisper side, bake it the entire time uncovered. If you want it warm and gooey, bake it covered with aluminum foil. If you are indecisive like me, bake it 25 minutes covered and 10 minutes uncovered.