Citrus Salmon Fillets

Citrus Salmon Fillets

I have a serious addiction to ponzu sauce. I mean I really love ponzu sauce. When I go out to eat, I order dishes just so I can satisfy this craving. Sushi, sashimi, fish, chicken…I love it all so much more swimming in a little puddle of ponzu.

Tonight I decided to add a hint of sweetness using lemon as well as orange in the sauce. This recipe is very simple, very healthy…but refreshingly delicious!

INGREDIENTS
2 salmon fillets
1 Tbsp oil
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 Tbsp fresh squeezed orange juice
4 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce

DIRECTIONS
Coat the salmon with the oil and salt and fry, broil, or grill until medium to medium well. If you happen to have a really fresh piece of salmon, it’s great eaten rare to medium rare.

Slice some pretty garnish for the fish as above then squeeze the juice for the sauce. Stir up the lemon and orange juice with the soy sauce and pour over your salmon. It’s very refreshing!

6 comments   -   February 7, 2008

1 brilynn { 02.09.08 at 3:52 am }

That looks great, I love salmon and citrus!

2 White On Rice Couple { 02.09.08 at 3:04 pm }

We love eating ponzu sauce! And we just bought some different types a few weeks ago ! Why did we wait this long? Don’t know why.
But it’s never too late and we’ll try out this recipe. Thanks for sharing your ponzu love.

3 Kaman { 02.09.08 at 3:59 pm }

I love ponzu as well! It is so versatile. I like to dip steamed dumplings or gyoza in it! :) Or sometimes, I boil thin slices of nice pork or shabu shabu beef and dip it in there. SO good.

4 Kitty { 02.10.08 at 6:00 am }

oooh…..I saw this on tastespotting, looks delicious. I always enjoy ponzu at restaurants but never think to buy it for home. I am going to try it!

5 Kitty { 02.10.08 at 6:01 am }

wait, at what point in the recipe do you use the ponzu? is ponzu sauce just soy sauce with citrus in it?

6 made healthier { 02.10.08 at 6:41 am }

Hi brilynn,
Thanks, me too!

Hi White on Rice Couple,
I’m glad you have some new ponzu sauces to try out. I enjoy it on fried fish and chicken, certain types of sashimi, and even on some steamed vegetables. :)

Hi Kaman,
I agree, very versatile. That shabu shabu you make sounds really good!

Hi Kitty,
After my salmon is plated I pour on the sauce. If I’m home and want a quick ponzu sauce I usually just do lemon and shoyu. Some people use different citrus fruits like lime or yuzu (a Japanese fruit). I use lemon since I always have it around.

Other people also like to add things like vinegar, bonito flakes (Japanese fish flakes), mirin (Japanese sweet cooking wine), and sugar. The ponzu sauce in restaurants and stores usually contain some if not all or more of these additional ingredients.

With my recipe expect a tangy sauce. If you like foods such as salt and vinegar chips, you’ll probably enjoy my sauce. If that’s a little much for you, try adding a little sugar to take the edge off. ;)