Banana Walnut Muffins

Banana Walnut Muffins

Just when I thought the rainy season was finished in Hawaii, we had another wet and overcast day today. I actually like it though, it keeps things really cool and green. It will be plenty hot enough in a month or so – a time of year I do not look forward to. During the summer it gets so hot that all I can do is turn on the air con, go on the internet, and plan my next snowy winter vacation.

Back to breakfast, here’s what I had on this rainy morning…whole wheat banana walnut muffins. A simple recipe as always and decently healthy. Great to make when like me you have some bananas getting a little too ripe.

Banana Walnut Muffins

INGREDIENTS
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 bananas
1/4 cup milk (skim or plain soy)
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
2/3 cup walnuts

Banana Walnut Muffins

DIRECTIONS
Combine the whole wheat flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl put in the bananas and cut in to small pieces with a fork. Smash the bananas with your fork so that it mostly mashed but with some small chunks of bananas.

Add in the egg, vanilla, and milk to the banana mixture. Combine the dry and wet ingredients and also the walnuts. Mix briefly then pour into a nonstick muffin pan. If you really like walnuts, sprinkle some extra pieces on top of the batter before baking. Bake at 350 degrees F for 30 to 40 minutes. Makes 7 or 8 muffins.

Banana Walnut Muffins

NOTES
Remove the muffins from the pan as soon as they come out of the oven. You may need to run a knife around the edges to get them out but they should come out pretty easily. Just don’t let them cool in the pan or the caramelized sugar and banana may permanently cement the muffin to your pan.

32 comments   -   February 25, 2008

1 Joanna in the kitchen { 02.25.08 at 3:21 am }

Whole wheat flour in a muffin….? Very interesting. I have never tried that but definitely I should have. It sounds much healthier than the plain flour. I like the photos a lot.

2 kat { 02.25.08 at 10:12 am }

love love banana muffins. I wonder if I can find whole wheat flour in Japan? must make note of this….

3 Hélène { 02.25.08 at 2:11 pm }

We have our share of rain, here in Comox Valley. Your breakfast looks really good.

4 made healthier { 02.25.08 at 11:39 pm }

Hi Joanna,
If you haven’t tried whole wheat before, you may want to adjust the recipe to 2/3 cup whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup all purpose. At least until you get used to the texture and flavor of whole wheat. Thanks for the compliment on the photos!

Hi kat,
I hope you can find whole wheat flour in Japan. Can you imagine bringing a bag of flour back in your suitcase? One bad toss or smash from another bag…would not be good. :D

Hi Helene,
Thanks! And Comox Valley is so beautiful, I love going to Canada. B.C. is great and I really enjoy visiting Alberta as well…during the winter. ;)

5 rowena { 02.26.08 at 3:34 am }

Not too much rain here but I’m grateful that the freezing temps moved on to somewhere else. Now it feels like spring…

Banana muffins are always a treat — the nice thing about them is the freezing factor. Always handy to have some around for that occasional visitor or impulsive snack! :-)

6 White On Rice Couple { 02.28.08 at 10:45 am }

These are the type of muffins I can eat every day. The lighting on this photograph is perfect!! Is is by the window?
BTW- our first cooking video is up!

7 made healthier { 02.28.08 at 10:09 pm }

Hi rowena,
Yes, great for the freezer. A little sad – this morning I took the last one out from the freezer to bring to work as a snack. Guess I’ll just have to make more this weekend! ;)

Hi White on Rice Couple,
Thanks! Yes I always have better lighting in my photos on the weekend. That’s the only time when I can use natural light for my pics. And that is my kitchen window … with a little palm tree in the background. :)

8 kat { 03.05.08 at 7:08 pm }

hehe, I’m more worried about the weight restrictions!!

9 cathi { 03.06.08 at 10:12 am }

I am very interested in becoming healthier, so these recipies will help me lure my family healthier, too! thank you!!

10 made healthier { 04.07.08 at 2:14 am }

Hi kat,
I know what you mean, how are you supposed to bring all the omiyage back?!

Hi cathi,
You are very welcome, I’m glad you are enjoying the recipes!

11 JonJon { 02.26.09 at 5:27 pm }

I just made these muffins and they were fun to make and delicious! I love that you don’t use oil and they still come out tasting rich, moist and divine! I’m a sucker for a good, healthy muffin’!

I’m really enjoying your blog, keep up the good work; it’s delicious!

JonJon

12 Lori { 02.28.09 at 10:03 pm }

Hi JonJon,
I’m glad you liked it, it’s also one of my favorite muffin recipes!

13 Melissa Sews { 03.11.09 at 3:32 pm }

Ooohh!! These sound absolutely divine. I believe I’ll be whipping these babies up in the morning. Thanks for the great healthy recipes! God’s Peace, Melissa

14 Tracey { 03.19.09 at 6:38 am }

These look amazing. its a damp cool day, kind of an indoor day.I’ve been searching for a simple recipe that didn’t include oil, as i am out….hee hee:o). I am on my way to try these as we speak.

Thanks

15 Rebecca { 04.12.09 at 8:46 pm }

YUMMY! A word of caution: This recipe does not work well with the little paper mini cups. The muffins taste great, however unable to peel the muffin away from the paper so 1/4 of the muffin is stuck.
Very tastey!- We will for go the mini paper cups in the future.

16 Lori { 04.12.09 at 8:55 pm }

Hi Rebecca,
Thanks for the tip, those nonstick muffin pans work well for me. If I’m extra worried I spray in some baking PAM for insurance.

17 Sheri { 11.17.09 at 8:53 am }

thank you so much for this recipe. They are in the oven right now and I can’t wait to see how they turn out!

18 Nikki { 12.04.09 at 8:35 am }

I’ve never made muffins before… just found myself with two ripe bananas & I found this via google. THANK YOU! What a great, easy & absurdly gorgeous recipe.
I am now making my second batch… friends came & scoffed the lot!

19 Jenn { 05.03.10 at 5:30 am }

I’ve made banana bread before and it definitely did not taste as good as this! Thanks for the recipe, I’ve added this page to my bookmarks!

I added 2 tablespoons of chocolate chips (leftovers) and about 3 tablespoons of applesauce to it (I was paranoid that the muffins would come out dry like my banana bread, I’m sure it’s moist without it)

20 Riah { 06.13.10 at 4:56 pm }

I love these muffins<3 (and so does everyone else) I made them and they dissapeared in about an hour=]

21 Patrick { 08.01.11 at 3:28 pm }

Made these muffins for probably the tenth time–love them so much. And so easy to make. Thanks for the recipe.

22 Kim { 11.14.11 at 8:08 am }

I made these last night! They’re very good. I had half on the way to the gym this morning. :)

23 Mary K { 01.31.12 at 11:41 am }

These look delicious and I am envious of worrying about having too hot of weather in Hawaii and the beautiful scenery to go with it. I almost interviewed to earn a teaching position in Hawaii just to be there. I teach in NY and while I love our scenery as well, I do so dread the winters. This year though I do have to add it has not so bad.

24 Nel { 02.24.12 at 4:01 pm }

I made these today and they were delicious! I made a few changes though: I used 3/4 cup whole wheat flour instead of 1 cup (this was not intentional (lol), but they still came out fantastic!), I omitted the sugar and used a puree of reconstituted dried apricots (apricots go really well with bananas), used almond milk, and used almond extract instead of vanilla. Oh! And I pureed the bananas completely (I’m not a fan of banana chunk…too much of a funky texture. They were sooo amazing. I’m taking them to my bf’s house tomorrow…and then I will make another batch just for myself! Thank you for the recipe.

25 Beatrice { 04.28.12 at 4:43 am }

These are really good. I increased everything by 1/3 to get 12 muffins (for the eggs, that meant using two eggs).

26 Shravani { 05.18.12 at 11:45 am }

I made these healthy muffins,it came out awesome. Thanks for recipe.

27 Christina { 07.29.12 at 5:20 pm }

I just made these, and mine are baking right now! (: So excited to eat these for a relatively healthy breakfast, deliciousness and healthiness doesn’t come by so easily!

28 Dan { 08.31.12 at 2:27 pm }

Made these and they were delicious, and Vancouver island gets a ton of rain, so these were the perfect treat!

29 Donna { 09.17.12 at 1:23 am }

Thank u so much .I made just the way u suggested and it came out well.And I also tried substituting ingredients .Like dark brown sugar (sugar,same qty),vinegar+soda(egg) and it turned out good.

30 Anne { 09.25.12 at 6:00 am }

A rainy day here in Ireland – the start of the winter I’m afraid, but made much more enjoyable with this yummy recipe!! It’s 4.30 in the evening, the fire is lighting, and we’re sitting down to enjoy our muffins! Thanks!

31 janeenichole { 02.28.13 at 9:08 am }

I am going to attempt to make these. I absolutely love banana nut muffins. Im just curious, is this for regular sized muffins or can i use a mini muffin pan (i know its probably a dumb question)

32 Lori { 03.20.13 at 12:25 am }

Hi janeenichole,
I used this recipe for regular sized muffins. :)