Guava Muffins

Guava Muffin

What a week, I’m so glad the weekend is here! I celebrated as usual – sleeping in then having breakfast. Two things that are non existent during my work week.

If you happen to have access to local Hawaii products such as Meadow Gold Guava Lowfat Yogurt and Hawaiian Sun Guava Nectar – and if more importantly you like whole wheat baked goods, this breakfast recipe is for you.

Note that if you don’t happen to live near a store that sells these products, just use the yogurt and nectar of your choice. And I remind you again, this recipe is for those that like whole wheat baked goods. I was a little more generous with the whole wheat flour than usual. It’ll be very moist but dense because of this.

These muffins alone aren’t much of a celebratory breakfast, I know. That’s why it was only one of the many things I had to eat this morning. Where are the pics of everything else? Let’s just say this was the only thing that was made healthier on my plate.

INGREDIENTS
1 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

6 oz. (1 container) Meadow Gold Guava Lowfat Yogurt
2/3 to 3/4 cup Hawaiian Sun Guava Nectar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs

Meadow Gold Guava Lowfat Yogurt

Hawaiian Sun Guava Nectar

DIRECTIONS
Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Next combine the guava yogurt, 2/3 cup guava nectar, eggs, and oil until smooth.

Mix the dry and wet ingredients together. If it seems too thick, add a little more guava nectar. Pour into a lightly buttered muffin pan.

Guava Muffin Batter

Bake at 350 degrees F for 40 to 50 minutes.
Makes 12 muffins.

NOTES
My favorite method of eating these includes cutting it in half and toasting it. If you want you can then put on some guava jelly or jam for a stronger guava flavor since as is, it has quite a mild flavor. If you like just a mild guava flavor you could try some butter after toasting. If you’re going the healthy route, just toast until it’s crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. I’ve had them each of those ways and they’re all great. It just depends on what kind of muffin mood you’re in.

Guava Muffin

14 comments   -   March 8, 2008

1 Chicago { 03.08.08 at 6:45 pm }

These look great! Wouldn’t have thought to make a guava muffin :) How whole wheat-y is it? And keep up the great work!

2 kat { 03.08.08 at 6:58 pm }

mmm, love guava, but only in jelly. :)

3 Kaman { 03.08.08 at 8:06 pm }

wow, that looks absolutely amazing. I’m not sure if we have guava yogurt here in michigan though, but i’ll definitely look!

4 Kevin { 03.09.08 at 3:42 am }

I am going to have to look for some guava to try.

5 Elle { 03.09.08 at 4:49 am }

Those look like they’re very moist and tender! Not to mention looking and sounding delicious. Yum!

6 Deborah { 03.09.08 at 6:25 am }

I wish I could find those Hawaiian products here, because these muffins sound wonderful!

7 made healthier { 03.09.08 at 9:15 am }

Hi Chicago,
Thanks! These muffins are pretty whole wheat-y. I made the proportion a little higher towards the whole wheat side with this batch. But if you like whole wheat baked goods these would be right up your alley.

Hi kat,
I love guava jelly too! ;)

Hi Kaman,
Thanks! That would be interesting to know if they have guava products in Michigan. Go luck with the hunt!

Hi Kevin,
Don’t worry if you can’t find the guava yogurt and nectar. The flavor that it adds is actually very mild. After I spread it with guava jelly, then it really becomes a guava muffin. :)

Hi Elle,
These sure did come out moist! I may have over compensated since my last batch was on the dry side. ;)

Hi Deborah,
Thanks! Hopefully one day these products will make its way to your area. :)

8 Emiline { 03.09.08 at 11:34 am }

It’s been awhile since I’ve been here. I’ve been sucking on commenting lately. I’m so confused!
Your pictures are great! Did you get a new camera?

Guava muffins sound delicious. I have no idea what guava tastes like, though.

9 made healthier { 03.09.08 at 1:37 pm }

Hi Emiline,
The taste of guava is pretty mild, it’s hard to describe. It’s similar to how a pear or banana can have a mild fruity flavor.

Thanks, it’s the same camera. The difference is that I took the picture on the weekend when I have access to natural lighting. :)

10 rowena { 03.10.08 at 6:56 am }

Lookin’ good there, even if I know that I’ll need to wait a while for guava indulgence! On the other hand, I am loving the garlicky YUMMINESS from the fries! I should have doubled the recipe for a lunch instead of a quick snack. Thank goodness it’s cold here….;-)

11 made healthier { 03.10.08 at 4:08 pm }

Hi rowena,
I’m glad you like the garlic fries! And don’t worry, the next few months will fly by. Then you’ll be able to enjoy some ono grinds back home! ;)

12 White On Rice Couple { 03.12.08 at 6:44 pm }

We’re looking at this and thinking…”wow!” Guavas? That’s a new one. We have a Marukai market down the street that has tons of Hawaii products! So this recipe is bookmarked!

13 Kristy { 04.06.08 at 7:09 pm }

OK… now I’m homesick after seeing that Meadow Gold has guava flavored yogurt. These muffins look ono. You’re quite the baker and photographer.

14 made healthier { 04.06.08 at 8:20 pm }

Hi White On Rice Couple,
I bet Marukai would have these products…the nectar juice for sure.

Hi Kristy,
Thanks! I hope you get to come home soon. But probably won’t be until next year yeah? Let me know if you want me to bring anything from here when I go visit in October!