Tiramisu Pudding Trifle

Tiramisu Slice

Sometimes on a Friday afternoon after a “challenging” week at work, you just need a little pick me up. This was my situation several weeks ago. The solution at the time was a trip down to a relatively new bakery in Aiea for some tiramisu. The taste was decent, but it was hard paying over $3.50 for just one little piece.

So when the following Friday arrived after yet another “challenging” week, I called up the hubs on the way home from work to say we were going to go grocery shopping for some tiramisu ingredients as soon as he got home.

While I waited for him to get home, I did some quick tiramisu recipe searches to see what I was up against. What I was craving was the taste of tiramisu, not necessarily the added inches to the waistline. So after a short brainstorm I decided to completely deviate from the traditional recipes and go more for a tiramisu pudding trifle.

I liked this simple and healthier version of a tiramisu dessert very much. I can eat a lot more of it without the guilt, plus it’s so fast and easy to make.

INGREDIENTS
1 package of ladyfingers
2 cups milk (skim or 2%)
1 box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup coffee or espresso
1/4 to 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

DIRECTIONS
Prepare the vanilla pudding as stated in the directions. For mine I combined the pudding mix with 2 cups of skim milk.

Pudding

Next, leave the pudding in the fridge to chill and brew a strong cup of coffee or espresso. When that’s done you are ready to layer.

Tiramisu Layers

I used a 7 inch x 7 inch square corningware dish but you can use whatever shape and size that floats your boat.

Here is how the layering went (from bottom to top):

1. Quickly dip each ladyfinger in the coffee/espresso and layer across the bottom
2. Spread a layer of pudding
3. Sprinkle a layer of cocoa powder

Repeat steps 1-3 two more times, or until you run out of ingredients.

When I was done putting this together I let it hang out in the fridge for a bit. It’s not necessary, but in my case I decided to make dinner first before digging in.

The next time I have a “challenging” week at work, it’ll be tiramisu pudding trifle for me…either that or a flight to Italy to chow down on the real deal.

Tiramisu Slice

34 comments   -   April 27, 2008

1 kat { 04.27.08 at 10:18 pm }

way to go! I think I may fly to Italy for some :)

2 made healthier { 04.27.08 at 10:38 pm }

Hi kat,
Just like for Japan, there are still foods we have to go back and try in Italy. When we were there we sampled the gelato, cannoli, pizza, pasta, etc. but I don’t remember trying the tiramisu!

3 Elle { 04.28.08 at 2:21 am }

Wow, that looks fantastic! I love the better for you, shortcut version you came up with!

4 made healthier { 04.28.08 at 2:45 am }

Hi Elle,
Thanks! It was definitely super fast and easy. :)

5 Tarah { 04.28.08 at 4:23 am }

That looks brilliant! Looks easy, but keeps the great taste! Wonderful!

6 Pixie { 04.28.08 at 5:03 am }

Since this is very healthy for me I’ll have the entire tiramasu please!

7 sharon { 04.28.08 at 5:30 am }

Hi! Just stumbled upon your blog via tastespotting. I love the concept of your site – I’ll definitely be back. Oh, and that looks delicious! :)

8 made healthier { 04.28.08 at 6:49 am }

Hi Tarah,
Thank you, that’s so nice! :D

Hi Pixie,
That’s how I felt too…but the most I ever ate was two slices in a day. Forced myself to remember that there was still sugar in the pudding. ;)

Hi sharon,
Thanks, I hope you enjoy your time looking around! :D

9 kaman { 04.28.08 at 7:07 am }

You are so creative in creating healthier versions of my FAV foods. haha. The vanilla pudding is such a great idea and good alternative. This year, I have discovered those instant sugar free fat free puddings and its soooo good. I will put it to use EVEN MORE now! thanks :)

10 cookinpanda { 04.28.08 at 8:17 am }

This is definitely something to try. I love the simplicity and it’s quick too! And all the right flavors are there without all the unnecessary fat. Thanks!

11 cakewardrobe { 04.28.08 at 9:58 am }

FANTASTIC! I’ve been worried about my waistline as well these days! Seems that this recipe looks scrumptious and I could eat 98374983 pieces without feeling guilty! My kind of recipe!

12 Kevin { 04.28.08 at 3:46 pm }

That tiramisu pudding trifle looks so good!

13 made healthier { 04.28.08 at 4:05 pm }

Hi kaman,
That’s great, you will be even healthier with the sugar free pudding! :)

Hi cookinpanda,
You’re welcome! With regular tiramisu with the eggs, heavy cream, etc. I usually share it and eat my half in tiny little bites to make it stretch. With this one I can finally take normal sized bites and eat the whole piece…or two. :D

Hi cakewardrobe,
Glad you like it! ;)

Hi Kevin,
I’ll trade you a piece for a chocolate covered cheesecake lollipop! :)

14 shaka sherry { 04.28.08 at 4:09 pm }

are those fresh ladyfingers? I see the hard crunchy kind in the store from italy too.

15 made healthier { 04.28.08 at 5:07 pm }

Hi shaka sherry,
These are the softer type ladyfingers. Are you on Oahu? If you are, you can check out Don Quijote – that’s where I got mine from.

16 Nick { 04.28.08 at 8:10 pm }

Wow, this looks really simple to make and it is fairly healthy! I love tiramisu but it is such an unhealthy dessert that I never consider making or even eating it. I’m all about making things healthier too. I love taking recipes and making them healthier…speaking of which I think I like your blog =).

Ladyfingers do seem like the traditional cookie layer for a tiramisu, but what about graham crackers? Perhaps sheets of cinnamon graham crackers would make a nice layer as well, what do you think? I must try this though, thanks for the recipe!

- The Peanut Butter Boy

17 made healthier { 04.28.08 at 9:50 pm }

Hi Nick,
Interesting idea with the graham crackers. As long as they get a nice soak in the coffee/espresso, I don’t see why it wouldn’t work as well.

And I just hopped on over…I think I like your blog too. I’m totally in to your peanut butter theme! :)

18 Hillary { 05.06.08 at 5:36 am }

Oh my goodness, this looks like heaven. It’s healthier?! Yay!

19 made healthier { 05.06.08 at 3:50 pm }

Hi Hillary,
The best part is that it doesn’t even taste healthy-ish. :D

20 Kham Tran { 06.07.08 at 4:11 pm }

Looks absolutely delicious!

21 Mandaleen { 06.07.08 at 4:54 pm }

:( I made this and my family said I’m not allowed to move out of the house, and furthermore, I have to make it often forever and ever.

So, I’d say this is… really, really good. I made my own ladyfingers though.

22 Foodaholic { 06.11.08 at 10:20 am }

I love tiramisu. Thank you for the non-intimidating recipe!

23 Julie { 09.02.08 at 6:32 pm }

This looks awesome, and lot less expensive than other recipes I’ve seen.

24 MIRELLA { 02.16.09 at 5:47 pm }

I bake a lot and made tiramisu quite a few times….i tried this yesterday. whipped it up in about 5 minutes and let me tell u it is DELICIOUS!! it tastes as though you slaved over it! You can’t stop eating it. It is so light and delicious….made it with whole milk but I am sure it takes just as good with 1 or 2% milk.

25 Chefmonsta { 02.20.09 at 5:07 pm }

This looks amazing! Is pudding a traditional ingredient in all tiramus?

26 Lori { 02.22.09 at 2:23 pm }

Hi Chefmonsta,
Thanks, I use this instant pudding instead of ingredients like heavy whipping cream and mascarpone cheese. This makes it more like a trifle than traditional tiramisu.

27 Eric Hoffman { 02.26.09 at 4:35 pm }

Oh my gosh, that looks great. I have to make one…eat it…and then make one to share.

28 Lori { 02.28.09 at 10:06 pm }

Hi Eric,
Great idea! :D

29 Chef Monsta { 03.12.09 at 7:39 am }

Thanks for the tip- will definitely try it out!

30 Mai { 05.07.09 at 11:07 am }

Thanks for the recipe! I tried it at home because I’d been craving Tiramisu but can’t afford to pay $4 for a small slice or calories, so I tried this recipe and it tastes great! I was iffy about the pudding part at first because I love marscapone cheese, but it’s not bad at all, and it doesn’t even taste like pudding anymore. I added a bit of rum and armaretto to the coffee before dipping the ladyfingers, and that’s pretty good too – just like the real thing. :) Thanks again!

31 Lori { 05.07.09 at 3:59 pm }

Hi Mai,
You’re welcome, I’m so glad you enjoyed it! :)

32 choccycake { 07.04.09 at 3:21 am }

Yum, your photos are great, I want some now!

33 Simmy { 11.05.09 at 4:48 am }

Oh – I’m so excited! I LOVE tiramisu! I learned to make it from scratch b/c I couldn’t afford it, and then learned to STOP making it b/c I couldn’t afford the calories. This gives me the best alternative. Genius! Thanks

34 Lisa { 11.20.09 at 3:44 pm }

Stumbled upon your blog this morning and immediately went out to buy the ingredients, I’m going to serve this at Thanksgiving and wish it was here already!
I’ve bookmarked your blog because it seems right up my alley…thanks for doing this!