Long Squash Chicken Soup

Long Squash Soup

I’ve been feeling a little under the weather the last couple days. Not bad enough to stop me from going out, but enough to make me feel tired and not as enthusiastic about food this week.

Perfect for a day like this is chicken soup. And here is a version that I particularly like. It uses squash and long rice noodles!

I use long squash, I think that’s what it’s called at the market. I usually buy the kind that are about 12 to 14 inches long like below.

Long Squash

INGREDIENTS
4 pieces chicken tenderloin
1 long squash
1 can chicken broth
1 package long rice noodles
water
soy sauce
salt

DIRECTIONS

First I poached about 4 pieces of chicken tenderloin in about 3 cups of water. While that was boiling away, I cut the skin off the squash then cut it in to cubes.

Long Squash Pieces

When the chicken was done I took it out and shredded it into bite sized pieces.

Next I skimmed off any foam from the chicken water and added a can of chicken broth to the pot. At this point I tasted the broth and added a little salt and soy sauce. The amount you add will depend on if you’re using low sodium chicken broth and how salty you like your food.

Next, add in the squash and boil until it gets soft and a little transparent looking. When it’s just about done add the chicken back in along with the long rice noodles (which have been soaked according to package instructions). Two or three minutes after adding the noodles it’s ready to eat!

Take care everyone!

9 comments   -   June 27, 2008

1 noble pig { 06.27.08 at 6:04 pm }

Honestly, I have never heard of or seen long squash. It sounds wonderful and I hope you get better soon.

2 kat { 06.27.08 at 6:18 pm }

this looks like togan or hyotan, hope you feel better soon!

3 Lori { 06.27.08 at 6:59 pm }

Hi noble pig and kat,
Thanks for the well wishes! :)

4 Kevin { 06.28.08 at 10:02 am }

That sounds simple and good. I don’t think I have ever seen that long squash before. Fell better soon!

5 rowena { 06.28.08 at 10:46 am }

This type of squash or something similiar is what I’ll be trying to grow next year. Your chicken soup looks so good!

(I’m certain that it made you feel tons better!) ;-)

6 Lori { 06.28.08 at 11:11 am }

Hi Kevin,
Yup very simple but satisfying. :)

Hi rowena,
Your gardens are so awesome, I’ll be looking forward to it next year! :D

7 Nathan { 02.28.12 at 6:41 pm }

I just harvested my first long squash from my aquaponics garden and had no clue what to do with it. I came across your website and used your recipe as a base, substituting leftover turkey from thanksgiving for the chicken, and not using any shoyu. Came out pretty darn good, reminiscent of Chinese winter melon soup. Thanks!

8 Sharon { 01.10.13 at 8:16 am }

I am fortunate to have an Asian supermarket in my neighborhood. Every week I go in and buy something new to me. When I purchased the long squash, like others have said, I wasn’t sure what to do with it. I am glad I found your recipe. Just made a pot-full this morning adding carrots and I prefer the shiratake noodles to rice noodles (preference). Thanks so much!

9 Lori { 03.20.13 at 12:27 am }

You’re welcome Sharon! :)