Vermont Curry

Vermont Curry

I wondered…could this box of Vermont Curry be better than the long timer S&B Golden Curry? Also, why is it called “Vermont” Curry?

These days there seems to be so many Japanese curry options when I check out places like Shirokiya, or even just the Asian food aisle at the supermarket. My mom has changed over from S&B to House brand Vermont Curry so I thought I’d also give it a try.

Vermont Curry

I made a simple chicken curry with mushrooms, onions, and eggplant.

Vermont Curry

It was really easy to make. First I cut up all the vegetables and a couple pieces of chicken into bite sized pieces. I cooked this up in a nonstick pan. Then followed the directions on the box adding water and the curry.

The only major change I made is that I used less curry than the recipe called for. I wanted to cut back on fat and sodium so I used around half of what it called for on the box.

Vermont Curry

While I assume it’s called Vermont Curry because of the “touch of apple and honey”, I can’t really taste those two items. But given that, I still think that this brand tastes very good. And even without using the full amount of curry, there was still lots of savory flavor!

7 comments   -   September 9, 2008

1 noble pig { 09.09.08 at 10:11 am }

Sounds like it was a success!

2 Kevin { 09.09.08 at 2:16 pm }

Japanese style curry is one of my all time favorites and I enjoy trying new brands. I have added grated apples and/or honey to my curry before and enjoyed it. This chicken and eggplant curry looks good!

3 Lori { 09.09.08 at 4:17 pm }

Hi noble pig,
Yup, it was really tasty!

Hi Kevin,
I’ll have to try adding actual grated apple and honey to my curry, sounds great! :)

4 rowena { 09.09.08 at 10:18 pm }

It always puzzles me whenever I see any curry that is labelled mild, medium hot, very hot and/or whatever heat level is covered in the spectrum of “How hot do you like it?” ;-) Usually, it never turns out as hot as I expected.

Was it medium hot to your tastebuds?

5 Lori { 09.09.08 at 10:32 pm }

Hey rowena,
I would say this dish came out mild (on the verge of mild-medium). It would have been hotter but I didn’t put in as much as I was supposed to according to the box. The overall taste was pretty good though! ;)

6 lauren { 09.11.08 at 3:40 pm }

So which brand is better? I’ve never tried the Vermont Curry, I always just use the S&B brand and use a block of med-hot and hot.

7 Lori { 09.11.08 at 3:51 pm }

Hey lauren,
I think I like this Vermont one better. Seems to be a little closer to Curry House taste to me. :)