Light Pear Bread Pudding

Pear Bread Pudding

Can it be? Did she actually step into the kitchen and start cooking again?!

At least I think that’s what my mom was thinking when I came over with a homemade dessert this weekend.

I know, for a while it looked like this had turned into a restaurant review/travel blog. But it’s just that I’ve had a very busy past month. You know the feeling, so tired that after work you just want to sit (actually lay) on the couch…then head out for dinner.

Luckily, these recent shorter work weeks have left me with just enough energy to do some easy baking!

King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread

To make this light pear bread pudding, I cubed one loaf of sweet bread. As you can see, I chose to go with the reliable and delicious King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread on this day.

King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread

Next I needed to add some pears to this. Here’s the can of pear halves that I picked up from Safeway.

Eating Right Canned Pear Halves

It came with four halves in the can. I drained all the liquid, diced it all up, and added it to the pan with the sweet bread.

Eating Right Canned Pear Halves - Diced

For the liquid mixture I combined:

2 cups plain light soy milk
2 eggs
2 additional egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp sugar

This recipe will work well if you’re going to eat it with a scoop of ice cream or some other sweet sauce. If you’re going to eat it plain, I’d increase the sugar to at least 3 Tbsp.

Mix everything together and make sure all the pieces of bread are pushed down into the liquid mixture. Bake in an 8 x 8 or 9 x 9 pan at 375° F for 40-45 minutes.

Pear Bread Pudding

The picture above is what it looked like right out of the oven. After eating a couple pieces, I decided to save the rest and bring it over for dessert at my parent’s house (they don’t mind that half a row has already been eaten). It was great with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!

And also great was having the leftovers for breakfast and after work snacks for the next two days – Yum!!

Pear Bread Pudding

23 comments   -   November 12, 2008

1 Sara { 11.13.08 at 4:44 am }

Your pudding looks really delicious, I love pears!

2 Lori { 11.13.08 at 6:35 am }

Hi Sara,
Thanks, I love all kinds of pears too! :)

3 lauren { 11.13.08 at 9:25 am }

Lori, Your bread pudding looks so light and fluffy! I have a can of pears that have been sitting in my storage for a while because I hadn’t figured out what to do with it.

4 sharon { 11.13.08 at 10:55 am }

Oh wow! I’ve never thought of making bread pudding with Hawaiian bread. YUM.

5 Lori { 11.13.08 at 4:57 pm }

Hey lauren,
This is a perfect way to use them up! Can you get local kine sweet bread over there?

Hi sharon,
If you can find Hawaiian sweet bread you should definitely try making bread pudding with it. And sweet bread french toast is also great! You can actually find that on menus over here. :D

6 rowena { 11.14.08 at 7:31 am }

Very nice idea with the soy milk! In fact, I was thinking how that would work if I always substitute the usual milk with a soy product. My dad got me hooked on an organic brand from Costco. I was surprised how good it tastes! (even if I wouldn’t want to entirely give up the “fresh-from-the-teat” stuff that I get back in Italy) ;-)

7 My Sweet & Saucy { 11.14.08 at 12:45 pm }

I love the idea of using King’s Hawaiian Sweet Bread!!! I bet that tasted amazing!

8 Lori { 11.14.08 at 3:55 pm }

Hey rowena,
For the past couple years I’ve used soy milk for all of my recipes…except instant pudding. Doesn’t seem to set up as well with the soy milk. Glad you liked the one your dad got from Costco!

Hi My Sweet & Saucy,
Yup, for me nothing beats local sweet bread! :D

9 Katie { 11.14.08 at 5:12 pm }

Yum! I have never heard of Hawaiian Sweet bread before. It sounds tasty.

10 Kevin { 11.14.08 at 5:16 pm }

That looks so good!

11 Lori { 11.14.08 at 5:28 pm }

Hi Katie,
Hawaiian sweet bread is very soft and slighty sweet. Nowdays there are also flavors like guava and taro sweet bread!

Hi Kevin,
Thanks, it was really easy to make!

12 noble pig { 11.16.08 at 5:21 am }

OMG it’s beautiful, what a llovely dessert.

13 Nikki Smith { 11.19.08 at 6:39 am }

Hawaiian Sweet Bread is one of my favorite things about Thanksgiving! For some reason it was like “special occasion” bread in my house growing up. Yummy! I found a couple other Bread Pudding recipes that you might like to try out sometime. …

14 Lori { 11.19.08 at 11:59 pm }

Hi noble pig,
Thanks, and this one is very easy!

Hi Nikki,
Thanks for featuring my recipe in your blog!

15 Guvile { 11.20.08 at 9:03 am }

I love super simple recipes like this. Thanks for this fantastic recipe :)

16 Herbal Remedies Girl { 11.21.08 at 9:38 am }

Great Recipe! It looks so delicious, I can’t wait to try it :)

17 Lori { 11.22.08 at 7:50 pm }

Hi Guvile and Herbal Remedies Girl,
You are very welcome, I’m glad you like it!

18 Herbal Remedies Girl { 11.26.08 at 11:51 am }

I tried the recipe last night, it turned out perfect and there are no words to describe how delicious it is. I had a piece last night and a piece this morning for breakfast. I have not tried it with vanilla ice cream yet… Yet :)

19 Nikki Smith { 12.17.08 at 7:35 am }

Hi Lori,

I just wanted to let you know that your recipe was featured in our desserts page on the holiday center. Check it out!

The site is still a work in progress. I’m hoping to make great improvements over time. Thanks again for your contribution!

Nikki

20 craig { 04.19.09 at 3:42 pm }

Hi Lori, that pudding looks fantastic and easy to make! i am not much of a desert eater, but then too i don’t cook for myself, i really like cooking for friends and this is something that i think would knock them over backwards. have you ever thought about making your own sweet bread, i have and just recently prefected the recipe. everyone loved it and come to find out it isn’t all that hard to make. they always ask for more.

21 Lori { 04.21.09 at 10:43 pm }

Hi craig,
Thanks – I’ve never thought to make my own sweet bread. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a recipe for our local kind of sweet bread. That’s awesome that you can make it yourself!

22 craig { 04.21.09 at 11:01 pm }

i have a recipe that is pretty dam close, close enough that if you closed your eyes it would be hard to tell the difference. my friends loves the Hawaiian sweet bread that i make.

23 Lori { 04.21.09 at 11:04 pm }

Hey craig,
Thanks for the link, I bet this would be great with the pear bread pudding! :)